All vegetables possess an array of health benefits, however, many people often overlook just how many health benefits are possessed by a simple onion. Referred to scientifically as allium cepa, onions come in many subspecies such as garlic, shallots, leeks, chives, and standard onions. This tear triggering and delicious vegetable is absolutely loaded with plenty of essential vitamins and minerals, as well as many micro-nutrients that few people realize.
The Top 6 Health Benefits of Onions
1. They Promote Heart Health – Onions are filled with plenty of antioxidants that work to tackle free radicals in the bloodstream that can damage your heart or cause heart disease. The specific antioxidant found in onions is called quercetin, which has strong anti-inflammatory properties and can even lower a person’s blood pressure.
2. They’re Packed With Nutrients – Onions are absolutely loaded with vitamins and minerals. They contain vitamin C, potassium, B vitamins, loads of vitamin B6, and folate. This particular group of nutrients when combined is great for skin health, immune system function, cell regeneration, hair health, and tissue repair.
3. They Can Ward Off Cancer – It may surprise people to know that the simple onion contains extremely strong anti-cancer compounds. Recent studies have shown that the regular consumption of onions has been linked to a lower risk rate of stomach cancer, colorectal cancer, and ovarian cancer. Studies concluded that the reduced cancer rate is as high as 22 percent.
4. They Stabilize Blood Sugar Levels – Regularly consuming onions has been shown to reduce blood sugar spikes, especially in individuals suffering from diabetes or prediabetes. Studies have shown that eating a single serving of onions can stabilize a person’s blood sugar levels for up to four total hours.
5. Increase Bone Density – Due to the rich abundance of antioxidants within onions, consuming them regularly has been shown to increase bone density and decrease the risks of osteoporosis. Bone loss and osteoporosis are both caused by oxidative stress over time. Onions, however, can help to reduce the rate of oxidative stress with their strong antioxidant compounds such as quercetin.
6. They’re Antibacterial – Did you know that onions possess antibacterial properties strong enough to kill E. coli or H. pylori which is associated with stomach ulcers. These strong antibacterial properties within onions help to keep our digestive flora healthy and free from bacteria that can lead to serious or even deadly gastrointestinal infections.